The Human Language Technology (HLT) Engineer will assist in increasing the speed, accuracy, and consistency of text translation and transcription of text. This individual will have a major impact on the tactical and strategic course of HLT, which is expanding tremendously out to sponsor components. The position is responsible for developing and maintaining sophisticated translation and transcription workflows that incorporate optical character recognition (OCR), computer-assisted translation, post edited machine-translation, speech-to-text, and other advanced HLT.
The engineer simultaneously manages various HLT projects of a high level of complexity. The engineer will provide expert HLT recommendations to sponsor’s managers. The Systems Engineer will work closely with system administrators and information technology (IT) staff, as required, to develop and implement policies and procedures to optimize translation workflows. The engineer will help translators establish repeatable workflows and troubleshoot workflows. The engineer will develop and tailor optical character recognition (OCR) workflows to prepare documents and data for translation. The engineer will create translation projects; scope projects by generating word counts, analytical reports; create project packages and assist with assigning tasks to translators and editors. The engineer will manage and maintain translation memoirs and terminology databases. The engineer will incorporate, when applicable, pre-translation, auto-translation, and pseudo-translation into translation workflows. The engineer will assist with scripting and development of advanced workflows including document/audio triage, speech-to-text, and multilingual data management
Candidates must already possess a current and active TS/SCI with Poly clearance to be considered for this position
- Bachelor’s Degree in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics
- Demonstrated experience in the human language technology (HLT) arena within the last 2
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and grasp new concepts quickly
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical assistance to others who may be less technical and promoting the use of computer assisted translation (CAT) and other Hl Ts tools across the enterprise
- Demonstrated knowledge of the following HLT capabilities:
- Scanners, scanner settings, optical character recognition (OCR), and OCR software
- Alignment and alignment tools such as Align Factory, LF Aligner, and Stingray
- Translation files and standards such as TBS, TMX, SRX, and XLIFF
- Computer-assisted translation tools and workflows
- Translation memory management and term base management
- Pre-translation, auto-translation, and pseudo-translation
- Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, foreign language fonts, encoding, and input method editors
- Unicode and multilingual, multi byte language and computing
- Translation and location of games, websites, and/or software
- Trends in localization, internationalization, and globalization/translation management
Reston, Herndon, Chantilly or McLean, VA
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local law. Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled.